Friday, August 3, 2007

Just a Spoonful of Sugar

Mary Poppins was slightly disappointing. The acting was good to fantastic; I would go see Gavin Lee in any show any time. The original songs were fun and the costumes were pretty. The new songs ranged from terrible to okay, but the new plot lines were pretty awful. Mrs. Banks, the once awesome suffragette had turned former actress, prohibited from the stage by her cruel husband. She longed for love and to return to the stage. She did, of course, find both by the end of the show. I'm not sure why it was thought that this would be an improvement; perhaps kids are ignorant of the fact women once lacked the right to vote?

Overall, I'm glad I saw it. I'd been greatly looking forward to it and Grandma enjoyed it immensely. If for nothing else, Bert dancing upside down across the stage was pretty cool.

No comments: