Thursday, May 31, 2007

110 in the Shade

I went to see 110 in the Shade a few weeks ago. It's a musical revival starring Andra MacDonald, who is nominated for a Tony in the best actress in a musical category. She deserves it. The show itself was nominated for best revival of a musical, but I must say that A Chorus Line or Company needs to win that one.

My original major complaint was the lyrics. The music was pretty good, but the lyrics were dull. They weren't poetic, they didn't flow, and they were bland. I originally liked how spontaneous the end was, when (I hate to spoil it for you) both men suddenly want Lizzie. Didn't see that coming! After talking to Alexander, however, he pointed out that one should have known File had come around to liking Lizzie. It shouldn't have come from nowhere. Agreed.

I did like the brothers. They both did a great job. The lighting was cool. And the rain was fun. Overall, I liked the end, but could have done without most of the beginning and middle.

No comments: