Sunday, April 1, 2007

Bakunin, Belinsky, Herzen

A week and a half ago, Andrew and I went to the final part of the Coast of Utopia - Salvage. It's a Stoppard trilogy that was originally performed in London as a 9-hour marathon. We spread the three parts over a few months, but regardless, I left Salvage with a great sense of accomplishment. It's a very deep non-drama following a number of Russian philosophers, focusing on Bakunin, Belinksy, and Herzen, through their philosophical lives. The biggest action was a shipwreck (for which the second play is named) killing Herzen's son Kolya. The plays were filled with monologues and diatribes of gargantuan proportion. Hard to follow, but interesting when I did. I understood the last one best because I read the synopsis beforehand (which covered more material than the play itself).

No comments: